Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Day that Never Ended


I have started to loose track of time…. combination of jet lag, switching time zones and a very long day. I’ll start you guys off at the beginning.
Tuesday January 4 I woke up around 8 am ETS, finished packing (and by packing I mean pushing and shoving as much stuff as I could into my bags). I will say that I am a great packer (in terms of weight, Dad will attest that I have obviously over packed, per usual). Regardless its obviously not all going to fit into my bag on the way home when I add in what I am going to accumulate over the next four months… but that is a problem that I am going to cross way in the future. I then showered, got dressed and ate breakfast. And then set up the DVR for the spring which was surprisingly more difficult than I anticipated.
We departed for the airport around 1:30, and even made a stop at bagel barn so I would have something to eat on the plane for dinner. We then went to Panera to have a farewell/happy birthday meal. We then continued on to the Philadelphia Airport and arrived around 3:50. The airport was surprisingly empty and calm and I got through security in record time I was at my gate by 4:20, however it wasn’t until I was walking to my gate that I remembered that I left my bagel in the car!
They started boarding the plane around 5:40, after I nearly decapitated the man behind me with my backpack then the gentleman sitting in the aisle seat of my row put my bag in the overhead compartment for me (which was really nice). The plane departed a little late because you of course taxi forever! Since I was bagel-less I enjoyed a wonderful airplane dinner of pasta, salad and roll. It was airplane food… not much more to say on that.
Wednesday January 5 I tried to sleep on the plane, but it wasn’t very restful and if at most an hour and a half total. I did somehow manage to sleep through them passing out “breakfast” which is oaky considering I’m not sure what it was, I am sure it tasted horrible and it might of killed me! We arrived in Brussels Belgium at 8:05 (Lux time, not sure what its official name is). Interesting fun fact because we are so far north and without day light savings it was still dark out at 8 am (I mean dark!).  When we arrived at Brussels the international terminal and immigration were all extremely busy as there were a lot of morning flights. I was extremely lucky as my bag was one of the first ones (of any flight) out and I was one of the first people on the bus. We left the Brussels airport at 10:30 drove for 2 and a half hours into Luxembourg.  The drive was beautiful, as we got closer to Luxembourg the were increasing more rolling hills it reminds me of out by peddlers village (mom you know that area that I love). There is about half a foot of snow on the ground here (they had an equally unusually snowy December). There were crystal blue skies it was a beautiful winter day.
After my host mom picked me (and all my bags up) and the other girl Brandy who is also living with us we went back to her house. We had a very European lunch homemade bread and cheese 4 of the cheeses were delicious 1 of them was really gross (and I’m not a picky eater… just have to be careful not to pick that one again). Gabby (my host mom) then took us on a tour of Differdange / Obercorn so that we could learn the buses… and find our way to school in the morning.
Gabby lives in Obercorn which I haven’t exactly figured out what it is yet I think its technically apart of Differdange (perhaps a suburb ? I’ll let you guys know).  However a bus stop is literally outside her front door…. And it is 5-minute bus ride to school.  I take the red “Diff” bus (look at me 12 hours into it and I am already learning European public transportation.) 
We then went for a walk around the city / town. I haven yet got a total feel for how big it is / how many people live here. It is the 3rd largest city in Luxembourg but it is quaint. Pictures and better descriptions to follow. We then went to a café and had coffee and tea (I think Gabby was trying to get some caffeine into our systems) but we also learned how to order in Luxembourgis. We then returned home and then had a quiet evening getting settled in as we are going to be extremely busy over the next couple of days. 
 Can't wait to share more... 
Love you all, 
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment