Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Bon Anniversaire

January 26, 2011 

I can hardly believe that I am 21!!!!! When did that happen??? I haven't yet had the satisfaction of being able to purchase alcohol in the US  (which I will admit I am very excited to do on cinco de mayo).

As its typical to celebrate your 21st birthday in college the night before / at midnight  (or at least that is what we do in Ohio) we decided to go out Tuesday January 25th. We also went out on Tuesday as  we had mandatory fun on Wednesday night (just my luck). Kat took on the responsibility of researching the best bars/clubs in Luxembourg City  a task that she took on with much gusto and enthusiasm.

We decided to go to the Grund which is the area in Luxembourg City in the gorge (if you look back at my earlier posts there should be a picture of it). The Grund is the area of Luxembourg where the bars and clubs are and its a really cool scene. We decided to go to Oscar Wilde's which is an Irish pub... the best part of it was that the bartender gave us an entire pitcher of tap water!!!!!!! That is really only exciting after spending a month in Europe but trust me it was amazing.  (So far Kat and I are the only 2 people to turn 21 and we were both more excited about water on our 21st birthdays than alcohol).
my birthday tap water.... complete with a lemon


At dinner, only 11 months Nicole!!!!

The group in the Grund (the lights in the distance are the city on top of the cliff) Left to Right: Annie, Megan, Amanda, Me, Kat, Nicole, Jazzy (Caroline was taking the picture)

We had an amazing dinner... the food was absolutely delicious and we will be going back multiple times this semester. It was a great evening with great friends and food. Unfortunately as the trains in Luxembourg stop running at midnight on weekdays and I didn't really want to spend my birthday sleeping in the train station so we had to leave around 10:30... we caught the 11:20 train which meant that I was on the train at midnight.... it was really exciting.
Train ride home to Differdange at midnight... yes I took a picture


Kat and Caroline then took me to "Das Boot" the local bar that everyone at Miami hangs out in when we got back to Differdange, where I bought my first "legal drink" although the bartender didn't really get the concept of "carding me".

Me "carding myself" at Das Boot. Kat another girl from MUDEC who's birthday was January 25th decided to join me! Unfortunately both of still have our vertical licenses...

It was a great evening and definitely a memorable birthday!!!!
Love you all, thanks for all the birthday wishes!!!
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment